Re: PostgreSQL and DBD::Pg requirements for 1.4 and later

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Ed W <..hidden..> wrote:
> Chris Travers wrote:
>> Hi all;
>>
>> Normally I would like to see us harmonize our PostgreSQL dependencies
>> with the PostgreSQL distribution from the web site.  I.e. we should
>> eventually hope to support all versions which are publically supported
>> on the PostgreSQL.org site.  However, there are cases where we need to
>> think about dropping support for some older versions when the benefits
>> outweigh the interest of long-term support for PostgreSQL versions.
>>

> Just note that quite a few distros probably still don't provide an 8.3
> package so probably you will have more support calls.

Given the amount of time it has taken us to get 1.3 out, I suspect
this will change before 1.4 is released.

I also suspect that we will continue to maintain older branches in
some way after new branches are released.  These are going to be very
disruptive upgrades (1.2 -> 1.3 -> 1.4 ... -> 2.0) as we remove old
code and port the new architecture.  I think we want to ensure that we
give people sufficient time to upgrade before pulling security
maintenance and critical bug-fixing on such branches.