Re: New to list + SMTP authentication when sending email

Not as neat, but I install sSMTP on my server and set this up to use
auth out to my mailhub...

Actually a HOWTO on how to do that would be helpful for some people.

It's pretty straightforward - I personally use Gentoo so I don't know if my initial config represents the upstream or it's enhanced...

Basically install it, then edit the ssmtp.conf file to set your mailhub and any username/password to log in

revaliaes is used to map user accounts to email addresses, so for example when root sends mail it comes from one address and if "apache" sends mail then it comes from another

Pretty basic but good enough.

Note I think from memory that it doesn't have a way to queue mail if the connection is down - this is worth being aware of it you are using it for critical messages... (install postfix)

Ed W