New to list + SMTP authentication when sending email

Hello. I am a computer science student taking an open source software development course. I have been following LedgerSMB because a previous employer was using sql-ledger and is switching over to LedgerSMB.

I am relatively new to Perl, so in order to better understand both Perl and LedgerSMB I asked my previous employer for a simple task that would help me with both. We have set up LedgerSMB to use SMTP authentication when sending email by a SMTP server.

Is this a function that the group would be interested in?

I have read in a previous post that a technical proposal should be submitted to this list, a usage proposal submitted to the user list, and submit the proposal to the proposals tracker.  What would the technical proposal include?

It is my goal to continue working with this project after the course is finished. I feel LedgerSMB is an excellent product and the experience I can gain is invaluable.

Ryan MacFarlane