Re: Persistent connections to database?

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> As far as your conf... it is a bloody mess :). It
appears that someone
> just installed PostgreSQL without actually reviewing
the configuration
> files. No offense, but that is a seriously bad idea
with something as
> critical as your accounting system.

Well as it happens, in my case someone else also 'just
installed Postgres without actually reviewing the conf
files' - that someone was me.

I installed it in order to use LSMB without any real
knowledge or understanding that I might need to do
anything with it, let alone review and understand the
pg config files - which I didnt/dont.

So no offense either, but...
Given how important it apparently is,  may I suggest
that it is also a seriously bad idea to release
accounting software that relies 100% on Postgres to
unsuspecting users (me) without at least pointing out
that the config is critical to my accounting system,
and perhaps even offering some brief pointers as to
the hows and whys of configuring it correctly.

> I would suggest at a mininum you do the following:
>
> 1. Increase max_fsm_pages
> 2. Increase shared_buffers to something more sane
line 256M
> 3. Chnage wal_sync_method to open_sync
> 4. Increase checkpoint_segments to 10
> 5. Set effective_cache_size to 512M
> 6. Increase default_statistics_size to 150

May I also suggest that as the acknowledged Postgres
expert on the list you please write that up in an
idiot proof fashion (for my benefit at least) and add
it to the install docs - please.

and if it's already there - I didnt / couldnt find it.
and if it isnt there, This post says a lot about
getting docs right for this kind of stuff much better
than I could...
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=ff7410570708252241q4cb7a650pf651f6a2f6a84ed4%40mail.gmail.com

g.