Re: Proposal: Outline of financial table schema for 1.4

Chris Travers wrote:
This is offered in the interest of getting discussion going before we
start to implement.  It is not a final proposal and one will probably
be offered after 1.3 splits off from trunk.

First let me apologize for "lurking intermittently". I had thought of entering the (structure re-think) discussion some time ago. Sorry if I'm re-visiting previous discussion/consensus.

Having now committed three of five of our companies' books to LSMB I do have some concerns and suggestions. Particularly: 1) a journal vs GL driven accounting system and 2) expanding the accounting system into include other business functions (as opposed to co-operating with those functions).

1) Journal vs GL:

I'm not sure that I know what is meant by "journal" in the proposed schema. I think of journals as being part of a businesses' "Books of Original Entry" i.e. General Journal, Sales Journal, Receipts Journal, Purchase Journal, Disbursements Journal and perhaps other special journals such as a Wage Book. In a data system, I think of these as views of the more basic atomic data. I wonder if "journal" means General Journal (though it actually looks a lot like a General Ledger).

The big advantage to centering the accounting system around the GL is that all businesses have relatively similar GLs while the Sales, Receipts, Purchase and Receipts Journals can be very different from one business and another or from one industry and another. The GJ is (as is the GL) quite consistent across businesses but it would quickly become cluttered if used to record all transactions.

I think any auditor would have a big issue if a business had no GL! When assessing a company, I think, most people would look first at the financial statements, then the trial balance and GL and then at individual transactions via any journals.

2) Accounting system and other business functions:

It is very tempting to add stuff to an accounting system but can end up mixing apples and oranges.

I see these business divisions: Accounting, Operations, Management, Marketing and perhaps others such as Human Resources. i.e:

Accounting:
	- journals: GJ, SJ, RJ, PJ, DJ etc
	- GL and sub-ledgers: A/R, A/P, Trust accounts, portfolios etc
	- reporting: financial statements, tax returns and remittances

Operations:
	- point of sale / order entry / invoicing
	- purchasing / receiving
	- production / expedition
	- customer relations

Management:
	- costing
	- budgeting
	- forecasting
	- performance (department, branch, individual)

Marketing:
	- pricing
	- advertising
	- mailing lists / prospect lists

Security, HR, System, etc.

Items in one division need to communicate with other divisions and data naturally flows from certain divisions to certain others (ie order -> invoice -> sales journal -> A/R)

[ ...these divisions would make good top level LSMB menus ;-) ]

Accounting and Operations that have these two profound distinctions:
1) they have different tolerances for errors and
2) operations vary drastically from one business to another while the
   accounting does not.

Without getting into too much detail (one could write a whole paper on this) let me point out:

Tolerance for errors:
The Accounting division of course needs to balance to the penny (which is easily enforced) but the accuracy of the entries needs to be achieved in other ways. But lets say that the books need to be 99.9% correct. It would be a mistake to try to impose this accuracy onto say inventory or onto the front line sales staff or order pickers. In my previous retail business (of 25+ years) I considered that if inventory was more than 97% correct (that is in line items - not total value) that my staff was waisting time and money being too careful.

Operations vary drastically:
Among the millions of points here would be that one business might need to handle only a few invoices and sales per period while another might need to be very efficient at handling many sales of small dollar amounts and margins.

Notice that "invoicing" is in Operations not in Accounting.

Lets take as an example a retail operation where a customer walks in and orders a $30. item that is not in stock and needs to be ordered. It is the store's policy to require a deposit on any to-be-ordered item.

1) the order is entered in Operations (not in Accounting):

2) the deposit needs to be recorded so an invoice (or voucher) is generated to pass this to Accounting. The invoice would result in the following:

  db	cash/bank/credit-card	  10.00
    cr	  customer deposits		10.00

Note:
a) This would leave an open order in Operations
     Q-ordered: 1  Q-shipped: 0	Q-backordered: 1  Q-committed: 0
     deposit:  $10.00
b) if the customer also purchased some items, this invoice would record
   the sale and the deposit
c) a policy decision would be needed as to whether or not any
   outstanding customer deposit could be applied to to any future sale
   or just this order.

3) Operations would now acquire/prepare the item - when available and the customer receives his order and another invoice is generated:

  db	cash/bank/credit-card	  24.20
  db	customer deposits	  10.00
    cr    sales				30.00
    cr    taxes				 4.20

the (now-not-so) open order now shows:
   Q-ordered: 1  Q-shipped: 1	Q-backordered: 0  Q-committed: 0
   deposit:  $0.00

--------

With a proper partitioning of the different functions, especially the Accounting and Operations; users, hackers and developers could better customize LSMB to their particular industry without risking the integrity of the basic accounting system / function. Also partitioning along functional lines would allow better separation of responsibility and access by employee or operator.

--------

My interest in a specialized LSMB would be for multi-tenant commercial property rentals. This involves:
- mostly re-occurring entries but also
- many disbursements that need to be allocated to some or all tenants in
  a particular property based on a formula
- budgeting

-------

I think the proposed schema and LSMB and SL often add Operations type features to the Accounting system.

-------

Herb Richter
Toronto.