Re: Proposal: License Change for Manual And Standardization of Licenses for Official Docs

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:21:23 +0100
MJ Ray <..hidden..> wrote:

> > > Or perhaps the Creative Commons?
> >
> > Which Creative Commons license were you thinking?
>
> Creative Commons licenses are complicated and contain lawyerbombs -
> things which are vague and/or confusing and/or CC has ignored requests
> to explain.  I don't see the benefit over a BSD-style documentation
> licence if that's what's wanted.
>
> Some debian manuals are under the GPL.  It is not necessary (ISTR
> lawyers advising that it may even be unhelpful) to specify the
> preferred form for editing, as that may change over time.  A court
> should decide what is reasonable as source code, if really needed.
>
> Regards,

Here is the deal. I don't like the idea of someone being able to close
and print the ledgersmb documentation. It is really that simple and
thus I don't think the BSD license is a good thing here.

I like Open Pub (we could remove the clauses if you like) because it is
simple and to the point.

I don't like the nor have I ever liked the FSF version of their
documentation license.

I am not really advocating one way or the other if you really want to
BSD it, go for it, you wrote most of it :)

Joshua D. Drake

			UNIQUE NOT NULL