Re: Thoughts on payment handling in 1.4.x

Chris Travers wrote:
Hi all;

I have been thinking a great deal about the data organization of
financial transactions for 1.4 even though we are not there yet.  I
think we can all agree we need to have a central table which tracks
every financial transaction and which other tables may join to.  I
would propose that this table should be equivalent to the General
Journal of paper-based accounting systems and it would replace the
current gl table.

In most cases, the journal table would be very similar in structure to
the current GL table, but I have one question:  should we give
payments their own journal entries?  I would think the answer would be
yes, and then have a table which handles the many-many relationship
between payment entries and other entries.

What do other people think?

I support having payments have their own entries. There've been several cases recently from a code standpoint where it would have been simpler if they had been separate.

Charley