Re: Plan for refactoring user information

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Chris Travers wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I am looking at reactoring user information in 1.3.  Here is my basic
> proposal:
>
> 1)  Users are connected to three other tables:  employee (for HR
> information), preferences (for their own preferences), and locations
> (for business location).

Is there any benefit to (loosely) integrating users and clients/contacts? I am
thinking of cases where one might want to allow a client limited access to
the system so that they can view their account data, check their order status
and query inventory. I seem to remember another project using a similar setup
for selling manuals. ;-)

I think I recall some discussion on working on CRM-type functionality, perhaps
expanding the "people" and "companies" concept a bit further so that users
are people too might be worth considering.

Then again, doing so might complicate things to the point where nothing will
ever get done, or we end up with something so "great" that no human could
possibly ever deploy it (compiere, anyone?) so feel free to point out why it
would be a bad idea.

--
Regards,
	Ashley J Gittins