Re: [Fwd: Voiding a invoiced transaction]

Thanks Josh

Very interesting email.  There are a few points I am not quite clear
on (exactly how we adjust inventory and COGS numbers-- whether it is
the reverse of the invoice or an adjustment to current FIFO figures).
However, this email is very interesting because it brings up a point I
had not considered at all:  invoices voided for reasons other than
that they were invalid in the first place (for example, products
destroyed in transport, or the like).  This makes the problem far more
complex and I will have to think about this a lot more.

The way I see it is:
1)  At the end, there may need to be adjustments to the COGS and
inventory accounts to ensure that inventory for non-discreet (i.e.
most) items remains at valid FIFO figures.   I didn't see any
discussion of this problem in the accountant's reply and until I hear
otherwise, I will assume it is necessary.  This being said, it may not
be strictly necessary in this case because of the fact that we do
inventory on a continuous basis.

If we want to get into an argument why stock numbers are probably not
OK, I will submit my thoughts.  However, I think we are probably in
agreement here.

2)  There are valid reasons to reverse an invoice some time after it
was issued  (Ship and invoice, item is lost in the mail.  A week later
your accounting period changes, and two weeks after that, you reverse
the invoice).  In these cases, *inventory may not always be returned
to the on-hand stock.*  This means we may have to have an additional
option of "Void as Loss" or something similar.  After a while, it
might be necessary for larger users to be able to have such things
automatically handled against an allowance as well.  And although such
an allowance system may seem overkill for a small business, it may
allow for much greater accuracy in reporting if sufficiently
automated.

I have a feeling that we are at least a version away from having core
people be able to tackle this issue effectively.  However, having a
good and robust system for dealing with these cases is clearly
something we want to have done sooner rather than later.