Documentation wiki? Re: Better tools for community cohesion?

Hi Chris,

I agree with you that mailing lists are probably the best platform for discussion at the moment.
May be mailing lists are a bit old-fashioned, but IMHO they have some benefits over forums:

- Mailing lists invite the user more into thorough discussion
- The user is less distracted by the Bells and Whistles of the forum site
- Mailing lists invite less into short (negative, inproductive) comments.
   (May be it's too easy to press on the commment button in a forum.)

However mailing lists (as well as forums) have one weak point: They are volatile.
Usefull tips, workarounds, etc. are "lost" in the archives:

  - You will have to search through the archives to get an item
  - Items can't be improved or extended

As a solution I would suggest a wiki.
A LSMB wiki would enable cooperation regarding to LSMB documentation.

The LSMB Wiki could be a gathering place for all kinds of documentation:
the Book, Howtos, Tips, etc.
The great Book project of Erik Huelsmann could be a nice starting point.

Kind regards,

Marjan Waldorp,
Tux4u.nl