Upgrading and converting: SL-->LSMB 1.1-->LSMB 1.2.26

I built up a new server (from compiled sources), and I'm trying to move
an existing SQL-Ledger 2.6.27 system over to LSMB (these were running on
an ancient Fedora 4 system).  I first converted to 1.1.12, per the
suggestions, and it seemed to go smoothly-- It had exactly the same
problems as SL at that level (didn't play nice with Perl 5.14 or
PostgreSQL 9), so once I verified that all my data and user accounts
were working correctly, I tried to bring things more up to date by
moving to 1.2.26.

This is where things started to go wrong for me. (everything is backed
up in a couple of known "good" snapshots, so I'm taking my time to get
this right, and I've already rolled it back a couple of times to try it
from a different angle).

The instructions for creating the new type of db-stored user account are
a little cryptic.  Right now I have three datasets, which are held in
databases called:
sql_general_ledger
sql_ledger_farm
sql_ledger_weld
(revealing their legacy).  The instructions recommend bringing the user
data into an existing database, UNLESS there is more than one company
(dataset), in which case the user info should be stored separately.
Creating the user information in the existing companies failed with:

psql:Pg-central.sql:76: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit
sequence "session_session_id_seq1" for serial column "session.session_id"
psql:Pg-central.sql:76: ERROR:  relation "session" already exists
ROLLBACK

So none of the tables was created in the accounting database. After
searching a few hours longer, I could still not determine whether a user
database was needed for each company, or one user database for all
companies. The instructions suggested the former ("If you need to create
another dataset, you can create the db and import the sql/Pg-central.sql
file into it."  (but I have 3 existing datasets, and importing
Pg-central didn't work on them) also implied the need for a separate
user database, from "/UPGRADE":
"  a)  Single dataset installations should use the user tables in the
dataset.
   b)  Multicompany installations should use user tables in a separate
dataset from any accounting data."

So I created 3 user databases separate from the accounting information:
ledgersmb_users_phs
ledgersmb_users_farm
ledgersmb_users_weld
I used Pg-central.pl to populate these databases, which seemed to work
(logging into each database as postgres superuser, I used "\i
Pg-central.pl" to import).
It was also unclear how database access works in regard to
ledgersmb.conf--does DBname point to the user info database or the
accounting database?  So I set up the DBname to point to
ledgersmb_users_phs. Not sure what to do about the others, but hopefully
it would become clearer as I learned more.  I imported the users from
the existing "members" file (after editing the members file to change
the database each user belonged to) using import-members.pl, and it
reported success (falsely, it appears--admin is the only row that exists
in each database's users table).

I did manage to get the admin password to work (doing "update users_conf
set password = md5('password');" in the user database that is pointed to
in ledgersmb.conf).  But it doesn't appear to be seeing any of my
existing datasets (no surprise there, because nothing is telling it what
database to look in!)  Also, user import doesn't seem to have actually
worked, because the user information is absent.  I had evidently been
operating perfectly happily for years with no sql-ledger.conf file (it
didn't seem to need it!), but that's obviously not going to fly anymore.

I'm pretty sure this would be easy to clean up, if I knew where things
were supposed to be pointing, and which database which tables should
live in.  Should there be one user database or several?  If the
user-data belongs in among the accounting data, how to get past the
"session" relation error (e.g. just drop the "session" table before
importing Pg-central)?  How do we get from the user database to the
accounting info database (obviously not an issue if the user info lives
in the same database)?  If multiple user databases are employed, how
does ledgersmb.conf work with that (or multiple companies for that matter)?

Also, is going from 1.1.12 to 1.2.26 worth it, or am I going to have
exactly the same amount of pain going 1.2.26->1.3?  Should I go straight
from 1.1.12 to 1.3.x? Or should I go straight from SQL-Ledger 2.6.27 to
ledgerSMB 1.3.x?

I hope this doesn't sound as confused as I feel.  Thanks!
Victor Wren