attempted upgrade from ledgersmb 1.2

I currently run ledgersmb-1.2.17 on my laptop.

I am moving to running ledgersmb 1.3.9 on a VM (XEN, domU is debian
squeeze) at my office.   I've set things up properly I think.

The VM template is used at another company to run ledgersmb-1.2.17.
I upgraded the postgresql to 9.1, but I could run 9.0 if someone felt
that this was the reason.  I did install the contrib package, which I
had in fact missed the first time.

I also added:
  local   all             sswbooks                                md5
  local   all             ledgersmb                               md5
  local   all             all                                     peer

to pg_hba.conf, so that password logins would work for Unix domain sockets.

I copied a database backup from my laptop to the VM, and restored it
with:
  sudo -u postgres dropdb sswbooks
  sudo -u postgres psql -q -f 2011_08_26.sql

The creates a database 'sswbooks'.
I then connect to the web interface at https://hostname/ledgersmb/setup.pl.
I seem to get a "connection was reset" at least once, with no error in
the log.   A "try again" (in firefox) solves this.
I have set up the Allow From in the ledgersmb-httpd.conf so that I can
reach the web server from my laptop (on the same IPv6 LAN).

I get prompted for the postgres database user.  I then go through three
screens with what I think is a set of invoices and employees which
happen to have duplicate invoice numbers, etc.  (a bunch are due to
recurring transactions)
I fix this by appending "b","c", etc. to the invoice#, or adding the
date.

Then I get to a screen that asks me for:
     Contrib Dir       (I enter /usr/share/postgresql/9.1/extension )
     Default Country   (I enter "Ca")
     Default AR        not sure what to enter, I left blank
     Default AP        ditto

I then get a page, "Enter User", and it seems to suggest that I should
create a new user.  I enter my normal login "mcr" (which should really
already exist, and reading the logs, there is many notices that role mcr
is already a member of a bunch of groups...)

Then it says:
     Database Operation Complete
     This database operation has completed successfully. LedgerSMB may now be used.
     Return to setup
     Start Using LedgerSMB

I then login.  I'm told that my password will expire, but I found that
if I changed it, it kinda didn't work.
I try to browse around my accounts, and find that they just aren't
there.

I was reading the apache error log, and I find a few very minor errors
(complete log at: http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/ledgersmb-1.3.9.txt)

screen shots:
http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/6787.2011-12-28/capture1.png
http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/8421.2011-12-28/capture1.png
http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/7564.2011-12-28/capture1.png
http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/9651.2011-12-28/capture1.png
http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/3148.2011-12-28/capture1.png
http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/1228.2011-12-28/capture1.png
http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/3998.2011-12-28/capture1.png
http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/6719.2011-12-28/capture1.png

here I get the connection reset, and my logs say:
http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/8974.2011-12-28/capture1.png

==> /var/log/apache2/marlin-error.log <==
[Thu Dec 29 02:25:50 2011] [error] [client 2607:f0b0:f:2:20d:60ff:fefa:7f03] Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /usr/share/ledgersmb/css/, referer: https://marlin.sandelman.ca/ledgersmb/setup.pl

==> /var/log/apache2/marlin_access.log <==
desk.marajade.sandelman.ca - - [29/Dec/2011:02:25:50 +0000] "GET /ledgersmb/css/ HTTP/1.1" 403 628 "https://marlin.sandelman.ca/ledgersmb/setup.pl"; "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1 Iceweasel/9.0.1"

I also got this:
==> /var/log/apache2/marlin-error.log <==
[Thu Dec 29 02:25:16 2011] [error] [client 2607:f0b0:f:2:20d:60ff:fefa:7f03] commit ineffective with AutoCommit enabled at scripts/setup.pl line 431., referer: https://marlin.sandelman.ca/ledgersmb/setup.pl

I hit try again, agreed to repost the data, and got this:
http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/9951.2011-12-28/capture1.png

I then fixed the duplicates:
http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/9030.2011-12-28/capture1.png

Database management console:
http://www.sandelman.ca/tmp/mcrcapture/7660.2011-12-28/capture1.png
(I looked up Default AR/AP from my 1.2.17 install)

Hit, upgrade, and got connection reset.
Try again, get Database Management Console.
Created a different user this time. (Frank)

Go to interface (login.pl), I'm asked for my login (mcr/pw/sswbooks),
and then I get a HTTP Authorization request, and I enter the same.
Now, it fails, so I try frank, and it works.

I pass on changing frank's password, number format, etc.
Database is empty.