Re: When will v1.5 start testing?

Hi Philip,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 4:15 AM, Philip Rhoades <..hidden..> wrote:
People,

I am waiting for v1.5 to start testing before I start using LSMB again -
any indication of an ETA yet?

As you probably noted, we're behind on planning -- or rather: we've increased scope: In December/January, I've started implementing browser based tests. While this wasn't originally part of the scope of 1.5, manual testing of the most important workflows was planned. Manual testing takes a lot of time and provides little stability guarantees going forward, so I decided to bite the bullet and implement browser based tests.

If it's up to me, I'd like to implement browser based tests before releasing 1.5 for the following:

 * Clicking on every link in the menu, opening the relevant pages (80% done)
 * Basic customer/vendor creation (not started)
 * Basic Sales invoice/AR Transaction creation (10% done)
 * Basic Purchase invoice/AP Transaction creation (not started)

The definition of 'basic' here is to minimally cover the cases John Locke reported as broken after his initial 1.5 testing (https://github.com/ledgersmb/LedgerSMB/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+author%3Afreelock+-milestone%3A1.4)

While the above looks like a huge list yet to be done, it's important to realize that AP/Purchase testing is probably mostly AR/Sales testing with some copy/paste: there's a lot of common code -- basically, all that's different is the COGS code. I could be persuaded to leave out the AP testing for 1.5.0.

What has happened in December/January is that I have submitted multiple enhancements to Test::BDD::Cucumber (all of which have been accepted) to create a basis to build our testing infrastructure on. I've implemented new tests, increasing our test coverage from 11% to 25%; a new design is in place to abstract page access from test case definitions and multiple issues have been identified and fixed in the code base.

Comparing the achievements so far with what we still want to achieve, I think it should be possible to get this level of testing done in a matter of weeks, now that all the prerequisites are in place.

Regards,

Erik.

Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.