Re: Helping new installs find the right dependencies?

Ho Erik!

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> wrote:

  Other replies, later...

>> > Does anybody have experience doing so for a Perl project ....?
>> I've experience attempting to provide tech support  for apps that
>> do that (I work at a web and server hosting company, besides what I do
>> myself), which is why I don't think it's a good  idea.
>>

> Thanks for your feedback, I think it's very valuable. Did you respond from a
> background where the software you had to do tech support for incorporated
> publicly available libraries?

  Yes.  (Private libraries were less of an issue.)

> Or did they force-install their own versions?

   Often, the application being used had it's own embedded version of
a public library;  this while the web environment (cpanel) may have
it's own  version installed and the system itself may yet another
version.  (Though we often ignored that; as has been mentioned,
they're often too old to use..)

> Or did the person installing choose to install the libraries from an
> unmaintained source, quite deliberately, him/herself?

  We try to discourage that kind of thing. Admittedly it's more of a
problem with php or javascript that with perl.

--
Robert J. Clay
..hidden..