Re: Helping new installs find the right dependencies?

 Hi,

In general I know two kinds of solution for providing drop-in appliances:

  1. TurnkeyLinux, CT/VM/ISO based solutions. Contains auto-security upgrades, complete backup solution, too (paid).
  2. Bitnami: an application stack on any distro: independent of the distro provided packages. Just untar to a directory, all dependencies, applications - like pgsql, mysql, whatever - already included.

I prefer the first idea: recent hardwares are able to run an additional VM/CT, especially lsmb.

As I can see, lsmb with postgresql can run very well on low-resource hardware/VM, too.

As the system/software like lsmb is a mission critical for a business, I prefer the idea to isolate all the environment from the desktop or other services. If a user use a VM (kvm, qemu, virtualbox, openvz, lxc etc.), it is easy to backup, move, restore, clone, snapshot, whatever.

So, I can imagine an infrastructure based on virtualization, drop-in appliance.

What do you think?

Cheers,

István