starting work on better EU VAT support

Hi all;

We need this for Efficito, so I expect to start on this shortly (in parallel with the rental module).  I expect that this will work with 1.3 and 1.4.

The major reason for this is that VAT seems to have some complexities that simple tax handling can't get at.  It looks like some things become taxable in some cases based on what else is on the invoice.  Additionally there are at least three VAT-related states an invoice can be in based on customer's location.  The VAT module should give us at least a starting point for this.

My initial target is to support the following cases for the first  release of the module (which can then be merged back into 1.3):

1.  Handle intra-country, vs intra-EU, vs to non-EU countries
2.  Allow invoice templates to add different boilerplate depending on the location of the customer.

Any feedback on this as a beginning stage?

http://www.efficito.com/learn_more