recurring transactions / templates in 1.4?

Greetings, everyone!

I'm working to upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4 for two clients, and have a few
questions and thoughts.  Here's a quick one to start:

I understand from the list that there's an intention to move away from
recurring transactions and towards separate templates.  As I understand,
templates don't currently work (throw errors), and I'm not sure about
the status of recurring transactions.  In my upgraded install, existing
recurring transactions disappear from the list when I edit them, and new
ones (by "Schedule"ing an AR entry, say) don't show up at all.

Using 1.4.20 on postgresql 9.3.10, perl 5.18.2

Can someone point me towards documentation etc. re: the current workflow?

FWIW, I'm thinking about getting more involved in LedgerSMB as a project,
possibly moving into some customizing (I've done a bunch of BIRT reports
for the 1.2 version) and possibly coding, etc.  I appreciate Erik's
recent outreach offensive, I found the 2015 update refreshing and
welcoming!

Thanks all,
Craig