obsolete parts

Hello,

1.4.9 has an parts.obsolete boolean field which can only be set if
there is no part on hand.  Is there any further info on this field?

Obsolete seems simple, but I don't find the intention clear.  Why
must onhand be zero?  Is this just to clear the chaff out of inventory
searches or is there more to it?

Here we distinguish between unsourceable, discontinued, obsolete, dead,
and bad part numbers.

Unsourceable - discontinued or discontinuing for lack of source
Discontinued - discontinued or discontinuing for lack of sales
Obsolete - discontinued or discontinuing manufacturer has quit making
Dead - discontinued or discontinuing and not to be bought if requested
Bad part number - uncorrectable error in data

Thanks,
Rob