Re: Export/Import migration 1.3.x to 1.4.x

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Louis <..hidden..> wrote:

I have a fairly messed up database with my 1.3.x lsmb. It has data going
back to 1997 which has been migrated from QuickBooks to SQL-Ledger to
LedgerSMB 1.2 to LedgerSMB 1.3 (which exposed many of these issues).

Rather than trying to upgrade the data in-place, I suspect it would be
better to export from 1.3 and import into 1.4 to help get a cleaner
database.

It may also be useful to roll up the detail from say, 1997 to 12/31/2009.

Are there tools available for this, am I looking at a consulting gig, or
maybe writing it for myself?

There aren't current tools.  I could do some consulting to export/import if you need it.

As for writing it yourself, I don't think it would be too difficult.  There are some important questions to ask before going into it though:
1. Do you have inventory?  If so, how do you want to value the inventory for import purposes?  For example you could export/import each item at current value.  You could import current onhand at current average cost, etc.

2.  Besides inventory, customers, vendors, parts, and balances, what else do you need to import?

I would be happy to provide a basic overview of how I would go about such a process on the -devel list.   Chances are the tools used are likely to be SQL, the PostgreSQL COPY statement, a spreadsheet of your choice, and pg_dump.  I think for the most part, it is likely to be relatively easy.

Sign me as, "beginning to sweat"

Louis

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.
http://www.efficito.com/learn_more