Re: LedgerSMB 1.3.35 released

Hi John,

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 10:22 PM, John Griessen <..hidden..> wrote:
On 11/04/2013 08:40 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
> LedgerSMB 1.3.35 has been released.  This release includes a fairly large number of relatively minor fixes, as well as the
> addition of invoice creation date tracking and a number of fixes for locale-specific requirements.

I am going to start using ledgersmb on debian.  I have a debian testing installation,
so it is newer than squeeze mentioned in the INSTALL notes.

Right. The original 1.3 release pre-dates the Debian Wheezy release by quite a few months.

Some of the perl module names are unavailable for debian 7 testing.  Some are close but not the same.

Actually, did you mean Debian Testing (Jessie) here? Or do you mean Debian Stable (Wheezy, the successor to Squeeze)? Anyway, I'm running my 1.3 instances on Wheezy, so, there's really no need to dig out Squeeze to run LedgerSMB. But you're probably right that we need to update the INSTALL file. Actually, I did update the INSTALL file for 1.4 just last week and the dependencies between 1.3.35 and 1.4 are largely the same. You can find the updated dependencies here: https://sourceforge.net/p/ledger-smb/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/INSTALL

I should get perl modules directly with CPAN for the differences, right?

On my most recent 1.4(trunk) install, I didn't need any modules from CPAN on Wheezy. Thanks to the efforts by Robert J. Clay (Jame), there's a version of LedgerSMB packaged for Wheezy (1.3.18) which means that all required dependencies should be readily available.

If you ask me if you should use the version pre-packaged for Wheezy, I'm inclined to answer "no" though: there are a lot of fixes and enhancements which made it into 1.3.35 since 1.3.18 which you would have to do without.

Or am I going to need to use debian squeeze to run ledgersmb?

Definitely not; since Squeeze doesn't receive security updates anymore, I'd strongly advise against going that route.

If you ask me, there are a number of ways to get 1.3.35 onto a Wheezy system:

1. Contact Robert James Clay to see if he can create a package for 1.3.35 for testing and publish a backport which you could install on Wheezy
2. Install Debian's 1.3.18 package, study the file structure and replace the files the package installs with the ones that are in 1.3.35
3. Check the package for dependencies (required and recommended) and install those, and install LedgerSMB from either the tar archive or the Subversion source repository

John Griessen

Hope that helps!

--
Bye,