[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Better tools for community cohesion?
- Subject: Re: Better tools for community cohesion?
- From: PongrÃcz IstvÃn <..hidden..>
- Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:16:41 +0200
My opinion (only 1 person's view)
- mailing list is very good for solving problems, get quick response, reach lot of members, everybody has email clients (offline/online), good for search, I prefer this one,
- Forum, including facebook/whatever: waste of time, subscribed threads sends email alerts (technically worse than emal list), online, good for searching, tutorial, wiki like usage and discussion, probably better to search for newbie/google,
- there are gateways between mailing lists and forums -> migrating the two worlds
- I am on a lot of mailing lists (or topics), like zfs, openvz, proxmox, ledgersmb, groupwares and a lot more -> I need only my emal client to be able to read what I want and when I want,
- I do not need hundreds of forums, passwords, usernames,
- I do not need advertisements (like on some forums, facebook, whatever)
- I do not want to waste my time on online social networks and just sitting and reading fresh news about who eat what, lovely music, whatever,
- I do not like wave/facebook/google+/twitter/etc. like news stream -> nobody read back in time, who cares,
- a lot of personal feelings and bad behaviour I have....
So, now what?
- Wiki with organized categories, could be nice and useful; documents exist, but not complete, not so many experts and the free time is limited for everybody,
- forum could be useful to support wiki for these topics,
- mailing list gateway to forum could be very useful to migrate the two world (email list vs. forum)
- facebook/whatever news stream like platforms -> I do not want to see them in mailing list or forum; this platform like for support team for paid/free support to end users, who needs quick help in a real-time environment but do not want to use skype/etc.; and for those, who has a lot of free time to spend on news feeds
Sorry if I were too offensive and negative, this is my problem, but my personal opinion, most of the time facebook and alike only for wasting time and the product is me, not the "service".
Several years ago I made a mailing list gateway to phpbb, but I dropped phpbb due to spammers' activity, too much time for administrating the site.
In a short way: my favourite is the mailing list + wiki + gateway to be able to search contents(threads) easily for those, who like using and administrating forums.
(Again, this is only 1 opinion, probably the most critical. This is my problem, not yours and not against you :)
See everything from the browser to the database with AppDynamics
Get end-to-end visibility with application monitoring from AppDynamics
Isolate bottlenecks and diagnose root cause in seconds.
Start your free trial of AppDynamics Pro today!
Ledger-smb-users mailing list