Installation problems, setup.pl "Access Denied: bad username/password"

Greetings,

Here's the installation environment:

OS: Debian 7 - Stable (Wheezy) + Postgresql-9.1

I installed Ledgersmb-1.3.33 from the tar.gz.  I DID NOT use "apt-get
install ...

I got Apache2 to work and all the Perl modules are in place.  I also
installed

I can get the the setup.pl page.  It prompts me with the "postgres" user
password and database, but when I use the proper "postgres" password, I
get a pop-up:

Access Denied:  Bad username/Password

Reference :
http://ledgersmb.org/news/ubuntu-installation-tutorial-ledgersmb-13-series

The /var/log/apache2/error.log shows:

[Fri Jul 19 20:47:28 2013] [error] [client 192.168.1.8] DBI
connect('dbname=template1','',...) failed: fe_sendauth: no password
supplied at LedgerSMB.pm line 986., referer:
https://192.168.1.21:443/setup.pl

I've also tried to use a "ledgersmb" user with superuser credentials but
I get the same result...

Ideas? Hints?

Thanks
Michael