Re: 1.2 -> 1.3 API differences

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:49:52AM -0800, Chris Travers wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:47 AM, M Lubratt <..hidden..> wrote:
> > Good morning!
> >
> > I've been running 1.2.x for a while now and I've developed a program that
> > interfaces to it through web POSTs and GETs. ?I'm looking at transitioning
> > to 1.3.x and I'm wondering how the API for POSTs and GETs has changed,
> > including user authentication. ?How much rewriting will be involved for my
> > custom program to interface with 1.3? ?Or, is it substantially the same?
>
> Auth now uses HTTP basic auth.  We want to support krb5 in the future
> as an option.  Use SSL for non-localhost connections.
>
> For the areas that haven't been rewritten there isn't likely much
> difference otherwise.  For the areas which have (payments,
> reconciliation, customers, vendors, employees, and user management),
> there are significant differences.  For these areas if it's an option,
> you will have better luck connecting to the db and calling the
> appropriate stored procedures.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Chris Travers

I was looking  a little bit at the difficulties of merging my "addon"
into LedgerSMB It looks a bit involved to accomplish.

But seeing this gave me the idea that perhaps it would be better to
merge something like my addon "on to" LedgerSMB at the interface level
rather than tying it "into" the database structure.
That actually seems like it would be easy to do and easy to update.
It might also be easy to expand some of the tables in LedgerSMB to work
better with the outside database data. Or perhaps to NOT do that and let
everyone set up their own custom fields that they need locally?
Being able to search for parts, vendors, assemblies to fill in the
blanks would be nice.

Chris Bennett