backup/restore to new server

This is actually about postgres, not LSMB, so hopefully it's not off-topic.

I've cloned my server (using mondoarchive) that contains my LSMB and I'm installing into a virtual machine. This has taken a significant amount of time, and now the new VM database is out of date to the old "live" server, so I have to dump the database from the old server and re-instate it into the VM before going live.

If I do

 # pg_dumpall > dump.sql
 # scp dump.sql /path/to/new/server/
 # psql -f dump.sql postgres

will psql over-write the old, out-of-date database or is there some magic I have to do?