Updating assembly BOMs

Following on from my stock adjustment question, is it possible to 'update' an assembly that is in use?

I have a couple of assemblies that I would like to add a few items to (like a packing carton) so that the stock of packing carton is automatically tracked. However, the assembly has been used and sold before and does not allow any further updates to its BOM.

What is the procedure to update BOM's of assemblies as I don't want to create a whole new part.

I found that I could do a Save As New. Update the new part and make the previous obsolete. Is that how it is supposed to work?

Marco

--
Marco Hess