slow responsiveness of Cygwin install of ledgersmb 1.2.20

Does anyone have much experience using ledgersmb in a Cygwin environment?  I have managed to get 1.2.20 installed, but it is painfully slow.  It takes maybe 5 to 10 seconds from HTTP request to response.  I'm testing on the loopback interface so network traffic can be ruled out and apache serves up static pages very quickly.  All requests made through ledgersmb's interface seem to spike cpu usage until it finally responding.  If anyone has been through this before, please let me know.  Maybe one of the devs could shed some light.

Todd