sorting invoice numbers by numerical order

Hello list,
I hope you are all having a pleasant day...
There was some chat a while ago with regards to sorting by description,
and the two suggestions were to sort the query in the sql statement
before producing the html page, and the other was to use javascripting
to do the same.  My question is about numbers, though, not letters.
For my installations, when sorting by invoice number, my numbers go like
this:

1
10
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
11
110
111

and so on.  Is there a way to make it so invoices 11-99 comes *before*
100??

I am also curious if there is going to be (or if there already is) a way
to enforce no duplicate invoice numbers in 1.3?  I do not see any
mention of such a thing in the changelog, but I do find a conversation
regarding it in the mailing list archives...

Bob Miller
334-7117/633-3760
http://computerisms.ca
..hidden..