Re: Postgres Access Timing

How are you determining the customer/vendor that was inserted as well as the part?

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 7:43 AM, beamends <..hidden..> wrote:

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 09:01 -0400, Eric Lucas wrote:
> Richard:
>
> Is this injection part of an ongoing process or just a one-time import
> of data?
>
> If you're only going to do this once then you might want to try
> importing the data by using a spreadsheet to construct the necessary SQL
> INSERT statements.  It will load slower than your program would load
> them but depending on the amount data it's tolerable.
>

> Here's what I do...
>
> Copy the data into a spreadsheet.
>
> Re-order and/or duplicated the columns of data as necessary for the next
> step
>
> Insert empty columns and place SQL fragments in these new columns
>
> You can create multiple inserts on the same line (for multiple tables
> for example) by separating them with a semi-colon and duplicating
> columns of data as required.
>
> When the syntax is correct then export it as a delimited file (for
> example, delimited by a pipe character: |  ).
>
> Use an programmable editor (like VIM, JEdit, bbedit, etc.) to remove all
> the pipe characters and the resulting file can be executed from the
> command line.
>    (in VIM I just enter the following command to remove the delimiters
> all at once):
>      :%s/|//g
>

> You can also insert several sample rows in the tables and then dump them
> them and modify the dump file to contain your entire data set.   I
> believe that data is tab-delimited.
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,
sadly it's a monthly thing, updating prices and new parts from two (or
more maybe) suppliers, and checking who's doing the best price this
month.

Dumping the data, updating and then putting back may be an option later
though if I can get this working!

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers
Richard