Re: AP Transactions and Tax

Hello Phil

I ran into the same problem. There is a request to make that particular tax calculation a global option .. that is, a system preference to either calculate or not-calculate tax on AP transactions.

I believe Chris is considering it for 1.3 and I'm hoping it will happen.

My work-around has been to use vendor invoice instead of AP transaction. It turns out to have some advantages anyway. I set up a dummy service to match each expense account and apply the vendor invoice to that service. The tax is then calculated and applied correctly, although annoyingly it is not shown explicitly on the vendor invoice.

If the option for tax calculation appears in a later version, I will probably use a mixture of AP transactions and vendor invoices as I've now found the vendor invoice to be useful in other ways anyway. We live and learn :)

Alternatively, if you enter the tax manually it should work correctly, although it's annoying and obviously less than ideal. In earlier versions, before that calculation was disabled, you could always over-ride it by clicking update, then changing the tax manually before posting.

If you go to the change log on the LSMB website, you will see the version where the change was made.. its listed there. (fairly recent).

The nice thing is that Chris is responsive to suggestions and working on it!

regards,

David.

Phil Ross wrote:
Unfortunately there are some serious problems with tax calculations in
LedgerSMB. I have raised them on this list before. I am not sure why
the behaviour changed between versions, and I believe there are also
problems getting tax to appear on certain reports.

I have not heard about whether there is a fix for this, and what
release it can be expected.

I work around this by disabling any "tax included" for vendors, and go
over all the tax carefully before submitting returns to the
Government.

LedgerSMB looks promising and it is clearly an active project with
ongoing development, so a fix shouldn't be too far away. Until then
the problems with tax calculations appear to be significant and
extreme caution should be exercised when using it.