Re: Postgres: FATAL

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:24:15 -0400
"Elizabeth Bevilacqua" <..hidden..> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Geordie <..hidden..> wrote:
> > createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  Ident
> > authentication failed for user "ledgersmb"
>
> This is your problem, you need to configure the auth method in
> /etc/postgresql/8.x/main/pg_hba.conf for the ledgersmb user
>
> This isn't in the README.Debian because server and database
> configurations differ, but you either want it to be md5 or trust. I'll
> think of a way to add this...

I think the most reasonable thing to do is add a ledgersmb user to the
system and then as part of the setup they sudo to ledgersmb. The steps
would be something like:

sudo -u postgres -c "createuser ledgersmb"
sudo -u postgres -c "createdb ledgersmb -O ledgersmb"
sudo -u postgres -c "createlang plpgsql ledgersmb"
sudo -u ledgersmb -c "<install script>"

We do not want newbies modifying the pg_hba.conf unless they know what
they are doing. This is accounting data.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake