new potential user here: some basic queries

Hello,

First things first: I am not an accountant. I am just an engineer, use Debian as my distro of choice and like Ubuntu too (use Ubuntu in my research).

Just recently I have been asked by some people in a small non-profit organization about setting up an application which does the following:
1. Maintains contact information of all patrons and donors.
2. Maintains information who donated what to the organization.
3. Keeps the data in a secure form (I would expect some form of encryption).
4. Can compile reports at the end of the year about the donations.
5. Can produce receipts for each donor reporting how much was donated (for his/her tax benefits purposes). 6 Should be easy to use for an accountant who is not a computer savvy person at all (command line is strictly out) though he my use a computer as a lay person regularly (web browsing, email stuff, spread sheets, word processors).

They are looking for an application which, ideally, is free and, in my view, also open source.

Now, what I can do is install the application (they have a Ubuntu server running here) and maintain it (upgrading, backing up, etc.). What I cannot do in any near future is, learn accounting stuff and lingo and baby sit them through the learning curve.

With these limitations in mind, I had a few queries about SMB Ledger:
1. How does it measure up in the above scenario?
2. I notice that SQL Ledger has a package in Ubuntu (just installed it: aptitude install sql-ledger). From what I just learned, SMB Ledger is a fork of that application. From their webpages, I have reached the conclusion that if given a choice, I would prefer SMB Ledger. Does this have a package in Ubuntu or Debian? If not, is one expected soon? 3. Once installed, can SMB Ledger be used by an accountant or a person with knowledge of finance stuff without much difficulty, specially without being a developer, computer programmer or maintainer? 4. Given the, I supposed simple, task (keep track of donors, their donations, and compile a report at the end of an year and tax receipts for them), does SMB Ledger have the capability to do this without any tricky tweaks?

Thanks for help. Feel free to give suggestions since I am just starting to learn about these kind of applications.

Regards,
->HS