How to manage LedgerSMB modifications.

I have a question regarding the management of modifications made in
LedgerSMB.  I am interested in knowing how others manage their
modifications in light of future upgrades.  For example, we have made some
minor modifications to pos.pl, ct.pl, and ic.pl placed in the "custom"
directory.  Currently, if we have an upgrade I have to manually copy over
my modifications over to the new upgraded files.  I include comments so
that I can more easily find my modifications, but wanted to see what
others do and if there is a better way of handling this.  Obviously, if
the upgrade does not include any changes to the specific files that I have
modified then I don't need to worry about going through these steps.  Just
upgrade as normal.  Not sure though how to verify which exact files have
been touched in the upgraded code in order to to determine if I need to
upgrade my modified files in the "custom" directory.

On a unrelated note, what IDE's do folks use for their perl development? I
am currently using Rational Software Architect which is an Eclipse based
product and installed a plug-in for Perl into it.  Unfortunately, this
product doesn't currently have the capabilities of connecting to SVN, only
CVS and Clearcase.

Best Regards,
Steven Marshall

Taty Lee Boutique
11705 Jones Bridge Rd., B206
Alpharetta, GA 30005
770-410-6964

"Once you experience the stylish comfort of Brazilian-cut jeans, you will
demand nothing less!"