Re: Ledger-smb-users Digest, Vol 18, Issue 8

To add to this: you should see that you have two transactions, not one: a purchase and a sale. Each balances. The difference is your profit.

You do not add a transaction for your profit. A report shows it, as the difference in Income/Revenue minus Expenses for a period. (Income/Revenue = equivalent terms: some countries tend to use one term, some the other.)

I highly recommend anyone that is a bit hazy with accounting to read all the lessons of The Beancounter Tutorial, carefully. You will then clearly understand stuff, like the fact that transactions in Income/Revenue and Expenses accounts are just subaccounts for holding this year's Equity/Capital (Accumulated Profit/Loss) items ("Ma Capital's Kids"). I wish I had read the Beancounter Tutorial 30 years ago.