Re: Location of Database

On Dec 6, 2007 4:24 AM, Dave Coventry <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi,

I'm setting up a server which I've partitioned into /, /home and swap.

I plan to keep, all data on the /home partition, is there a way I can
specify that Postgres keeps it's database on that partition?

Yes.

When you set up the server, you can specify a location via the initdb command.  You also need to adjust your startup scripts to use the new location.

Now, if you want more advanced options (for example, specifying that certain tables are stored on one disk array and others on another) you can use PostgreSQL tablespaces.  See the PostgreSQL documentation for more on this topic.

Phil's approach also works, FWIW.

Best Wishes.
Chris Travers