Re: Critical bugfix for 1.2.8 users (Hotfix 1.2.8-1).

Chris Travers wrote:
> One of the major areas of advertised improvements in LedgerSMB 1.2.8 was
> in Cost of Goods Sold (COGS) handling with regard to reversed invoices.
> However, this area of the legacy code had some duplication which caused
> the fixes to pass in certain circumstances (including our test cases)
> but not in others.  I have committed a few patches to svn that correct
> all known issues in this area (by rewriting all of the COGS handling
> code for sales invoices).
>
> For people using LedgerSMB 1.2.8, the preferred option is to install
> this fix as soon as possible.  This can be obtained in the following
> ways:
> 1)  Downloading the latest LedgerSMB/IS.pm from svn
> (branches/1.2).
> 2)  Checking the -hotfix archives (I will be emailing the corrected file
> there as well)
> 3)  If you have issues obtaining it, email me and I will send it to you.
>
> In addition to correcting certain issues with sales invoices, we also
> prevent other issues by catching errors when invalid transaction
> reversal data is submitted or when the application detects a problem
> with the calculations).

Thanks for the bugfixes. Just a comment on the release process: I think
that any change to 1.2.8 released code would be best distributed by as
1.2.9, with an available svn tag.

I don't consider any bugfix too small to warrant a release if the specific
intention is that it should be used immediately by all production
instances. Incrementing through 1.2.10, 1.2.11, etc. should be acceptable
to everyone.

I do realise the current release process has some overhead with release
validation, the details of which I do not know and wouldn't want to
minimize for the developers who perform the tasks.

However, the lighter the svn tagging and release validation process can be
made, the more quickly LedgerSMB will be able to push fixes like 1.2.8-1
out to production instances on package-managed linux systems.

My strong preference would be that the svn tag become the release gold
standard, and that the result of svn export (tag) is identical to the
contents of the tar.gz and .zip distributions, plus whatever scripted
process generates various supported package formats and executable
installers.

Maybe we're there already, for my part I've only been using branches/1.2
to track changes.

Thanks.