Re: Assembly breakdown, was How to manage packaging

Hi,

I think I missed the original post--haven't seen the cable drum case:

Chris Travers wrote:

> The large issue is what I call an information completeness problem.
> The fact is, we don't really ever know what the relationship between
> component costs are.  Basing this on data from other vendors could run
> into problems (in the cable drum case, for example).  Basing the data
> on the same vendor might not give you what you need.  But either way
> you cannot *prove* that the flow of information is accurate, so you
> can only make educated guesses about cost relationships.
>
> I would *hope* there are established accounting rules to cover this
> sort of thing.  However, I do not know what they are and until I do, I
> don't want to build a system which in all likelihood could be doing it
> wrong.

I have just the client to find out this type of thing, and have been
looking for a way to bring LedgerSMB up to them. They manufacture steel
springs, and have stayed stuck with a circa-1991 custom ERP system
written in FilePro (no, not Filemaker pro--think TRS-80 here) because
they do not have confidence that any of the newer systems will calculate
their wire lengths appropriately.

This sounds like a perfect way to get them hooked up with LedgerSMB, and
off their much-less maintainable system, and probably get a good
practical scenario to come up with the right calculation. I'll approach
them with this.

Thanks!

P.S. Chris, it was great to meet you last week.

--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"