Re: Permissions setup on new install

You would see in that thread that others following that advice also had problems. Doesn't that suggest something?
I have just installed onto a fresh Ubuntu Feisty machine, running postgres 8.2, and all the other usual latest software from standard Ubuntu repos. I have a slight problem, reported here yesterday. There has been no response to it though. I think I can sort it out myself and that it relates only to sql-leger to lsmb conversion, not to the installation of lsmb. Fro that I followed what seemed to be the only authoritive source for installing, which is the INSTALL file in the installation directory. I recommend you look at reinstalling, and following those instructions reasonably closely. The main info its missing is that where it says
Debian users should read README.debian
that file does not specify a 'Build' (and exit) command, as is specified in one of the files in dists/deb.

Running old Dapper might be more trouble than its worth too. Whatever else you are running, I would if at all possible ignore the supposed LTS promise from Ubuntu and get the latest. I have found that over many years, not keeping more up to date in software releases causes nothing but grief. So does being too bleeding edge: its a question of balance, but I think Dapper is old enough that it might cause problems.