Re: Opening stock....... again!

On 8/15/07, BeamEnds <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi All,
just to re-cap, I've loaded all my parts into the system, together with
suppliers, customers etc, but there's no value associated with the
stock, so I can't actually use it.

The problem I have is that I've no idea what "scripting against Pearl"
means, or should do, even if I did.

Ok, then this is not an option.  (Basically it means generating Perl code which  creates the invoice object and posts it.)  This will get a *lot* easier in 1.4.

I've tried, using phppgAdmin, to create am invoice to load the stock
into the system, but repeated errors have made this very difficult, and
frankly very frustrating. I'm also concerned that if I were successful,
I'd have a huge invoice from each supplier on the system, which
duplicates ones already on our existing system - surely this would be
incorrect?

Yes, that would be incorrect.

Here are a few pointers to help.  Use PgAdmin III  or *better yet* psql since you can actually take advantage of transactions that way :-)

2)  Load your data into a new table.  Then use insert ... select ... queries to populate the other tables as necessary.

3)  Use a generic vendor for your invoice.

4)  If you need paid support, just ask-- it is not a big job if you know what you are doing and if your data is well structured.

Anyway, as its now over two months since our last year-end, the work
involved in getting the system "up-to-date" is already huge and getting
bigger daily, so: is there someone out there who can help me out, either
for free or for a (small!) fee - I've worked out everything else, but
this is beyond me (I'm no accountant) and I'm terrified of getting the
opening stock value wrong and, on paper, making the business bust - or
even worse getting the VAT wrong.

If you can get your data into a spreadsheet, I would be happy to help you.  Without seeing the spreadsheet, I could not give you a quote, however.  I would not expect it to be too much however.

Any takers?

Richard