Re: Backup failure]

Michael Schultheiss wrote:
Seneca Cunningham wrote:

Have you tried changing your config from /usr/bin/sendmail to
/usr/lib/sendmail or /usr/sbin/sendmail?  Those are the sendmail
symlinks on the Debian system I'm logged into.

Ah - /usr/sbin/sendmail is correct on my system.

I've also tried commenting out sendmail and using smtphost.

I don't get an error using smtphost, but I don't get a valid backup
either.  I get a 0 byte SQL file that doesn't even have my database name
(i.e. -1.2.0-20070407.sql)

It's been close to 20 years that I've hacked code (ah, those were the days, etc :-), but my evident inexpert feeling is that such a failure seems to indicate that the shell program is working (i.e. the file name of your backup is created) but PostgreSQL isn't actually dumping the database.  Is it by chance not executing as the right user?

Just my $0.02 ex VAT..

/// P ///