Installing on OpenSuSE 10.2: nearly there ..

I'm presently busy convincing a test OpenSuSE system 10.2 to accept a (test) LSMB.  There were two mods on the system: it was set up to accept ISPconfig (because that would be its main job) and it had the 'Packman' repository added for packages.

Conclusions so far:

(1) the RPM I saw is undocumented (where does it install?  What to do afterwards?), plus has dependencies that cannot be resolved by 'vanilla' OpenSuSE packages.  This leads me to believe that the RPM was made for another OS like Fedora.  I thus went for the tar.gz archive.

(2) Chris kindly helped me to identify a problem in the Postgresql setup on OpenSuSE, where in "pg_hba.conf" the string for the authentication ("identd") needs to be replaced with "md5".  Note: all commands must be executed as user 'postgres' to work.

(3) after executing [perl ./Build.pl] you will end up with a list of required perl modules.  Most of them are available in the repositories via YAST, although it may require a seach under "provides" to identify in which package they hide.

(4) the modules that are not available from packages can be pulled in from CPAN (assuming you're online) by issuing the command   perl -MCPAN -e "install  YOURMODULE"  <= had to use double quotes (thanks Les Richardson and Chris).  The first time you run this command all sorts of things happen, it appears to be a generic update.  I did this on an low load box with a dual core processor so it flew past before I had time to read it (don't keep large screen buffers) but it appeared happy afterwards.  However, executing "./Build test" throws up a lot of errors, and an attempt to see LSMB at http://myserver/ledger-smb/admin.pl comes up with a permission problem (403, access forbidden) so we're not quite there yet.  I'll email the errors from Apache and what the ./Build test gave out and see if Chris makes sens of it.  If not, I'll give up and move to Ubuntu..  Tip for those debugging at the command line: examine the command 'script' - it allows you to log everything you do (and output coming back).

But we're winning :-) .

/// P ///