Re: Duplicte Invoice Numbers

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, John Hobbs wrote:
> On a test machine I recently converted our SL data to LSMB. According to
> the release notes, under Changelog for LedgerSMB 1.1.0, there is
> "Protection against duplicate transaction id's".
> I took that to mean that the system would catch any attempt to enter a
> duplicate invoice number.

Hi John,
	SL and LSMB track transactions with an "internal" number which is the
transaction id, and should always be unique (visible as the id= param in the
url's). The invoice number is separate to this and AFAIK has no constraints
on uniqueness or format.

> An invoice number is a fundamental identifier
> for an AR transaction and should be unique. SL would allow a given
> invoice number to be used on any number of transactions.

I thought it was common in some businesses to issue credit notes or
adjustments as transactions with the same invoice number as the original
invoice? It wouldn't surprise me if some countries might have legislative
requirements on that one way or the other.

Of course, AP transactions must allow duplicate invoice numbers since you
cannot control the numbers generated by other parties or avoid
number-collisions between parties (I know you specified AR, just saying ;-) )

--
Regards,
	Ashley J Gittins