Re: Unable to use admin functions

Interesting.  It would not surprise me if it was a bug in ActivePerl.

I am doing all my testing on Win32/VanillaPerl because when we do
installers, we will be able to distribute it.  Works fine in
VanillaPerl.  If you want to try this, I would suggest downloading
Strawberry Perl, installing the necessary CPAN modules, and having a
go at it.

We are going this way after talking with the VanillaPerl/Strawberry
Perl developers.  They classify Strawberry as alpha-quality largely
because some third party CPAN modules don't work right (but all those
we rely on do).  Since ActivePerl is not redistrutable, we can't use
for our own installer.

What we found in the testing was that ActiveState did some pretty
heavy lifting to make sure that certain things worked the same way on
Win32 as on Linux.  In particular exec() is pretty heavily emulated,
but I don't know what else they have changed.  I can tell you that
this does not occur on my VanillaPerl (basically Strawberry Perl
without Bundle::CPAN) setup.

We may have to remove ActivePerl from the instructions and rely solely
on Strawberry.