Re: Can sales orders affect inventory?

Chris,

Thanks for your response. I figured that there hadn't yet been any discussion on inventory handling but I had hoped that there might be a way for me to still accomplish what I need to do. Since I know it doesn't exist natively, I've been trying to think of other ways to get the information I need to accomplish what I want and you've given me a ray of hope in using a view. So, I have a couple of questions:

1) In LSMB, under what circumstances is the inventory table used? I've been playing with entering product and I've only gotten the software to use the inventory table once and I couldn't reproduce the situation that led to that happening.

2) I think that the parts.onhand column in the parts table indicates the received inventory. I'm thinking that I could create a view around the parts.onhand column, the orderitems.qty column and whether or not the oe.closed column is true to come up with a different way to view available inventory from the retail side. Basically, sum all of the of quantities of a particular part in the orderitems table and compare that to parts.onhand column to get the true available quantity according to the client's rules. Anything else I should be looking for or include in that view?

3) To check whether an entry into the oe table is a purchase order or a sales order, I'd need to check whether the vendor_id or the customer_id fields is populated, correct? Or is there a simpler or more preferred way to do this?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Charley

Chris Travers wrote:
Hi Charley,

I acouple things to note.  We haven't even gotten to addressing what
needs to change with regard to order and inventory handling yet.  I
suspect that when we do, we will have some sort of handling for parts
on order (what that will look like, I don't know yet).

Right now, things are not handled in a very granular way.  LedgerSMB
can't do what you need it to out of the box.  However, you could
relatively easily put together a view and a report.  You could even
add triggers to fail posting an order when the available parts get too
low.

I guess the question is how much time, expense, and programming effort
it is worth to you an your customer.  If you want to do the
programming yourself, I am more than happy to provide high-level
technical guidance.  It would certainly help define usage requirements
as we get further into re-engineering the software.