Re: Announcing LedgerSMB 1.2 feature freeze

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 14:58 +1100, david wrote:
> I'm still using an old version of SL (2.4.16)
> Can you explain the upgrade path? Compatibility issues?
> I've been watching with interest, as I'm sure many other SL users have
> been.
> David.
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 09:53 -0800, Chris Travers wrote:
> > The LedgerSMB 1.2 codebase has reached the feature freeze point...
> > LedgerSMB 1.2 is the most significant revision to date....

Hi all ... I'm back. :-).

A small related preamble here ...

Today I ended a month of stuff, culminating in upgrading machines from
Ubuntu Dapper to Edgy. This included upgrading SL to 2.6.19, which now
will not work, as I get constantly "Session expired!" errors. I checked
on the SL forum for a fix, and cannot find anything in the forum posts
that I thought related to this a couple of months ago. What I did see
there gave me the distinct impression that SL is in its final stage of
life as an internet-supported product (surprise surprise). I posted a
question about my issue, and have no answer at all after 24 hours. In
the past that sort of question would be answered in minutes or an hour
or three. So I now need to get serious about moving to LSMB, although
for a while I can reconnect my version 2.6.17 SL software and access by
SL datasets from there.

So I have the same interest and need as "david" above (ps where DID you
get that name from? ;-) ) Moreover I am concerned that I need to get
across the LSMB while that upgrade path remains relatively simple, and
see that the time will come before long that there may become a lot of
differences between them that will result in progressively more issues
in migrating.

My thoughts to david is that you should run the Pg-upgrade scripts
against your database, ie your SL datasets, up to the most recent SL
database version, ie 2.6.12, then upgrade to LSMB from there. I am
already at 2.6.17 and there were no database changes in SL from 2.6.12
on, so my database version is actually the most current, at 2.6.12.

to see what database version you are current to, either -

- In psql run command "select version from defaults;" to get your
version, or more simply,
- Look in the sql-ledger/sql directory for the last Pg-upgrade-.....sql
file. In my case its Pg-upgrade-2.6.7-2.6.12.sql, which indicates that
2.6.12 was the last version with a database upgrade. Look in the file
and you can easily read the sql to see what the change was, and you will
also see in there the command to upgrade the marker in the 'defaults'
table to the relevant database version as per above.