LedgerSMB
The foundation for your business
Fork me on GitHub
Re: [ledgersmb-devel] Setting a policy for our dependencies

Re: [ledgersmb-devel] Setting a policy for our dependencies

For that specific point, I'm against requiring that for 1.5 and lower but in master we restricted PGObject for a while with ''>=1.403002, < 2''.

Yes. We did that to suppress the warnings that the PGObject code was generating. Later it wasn't PGObject anymore generating these warnings, but PGObject-Type-DateTime was. All these warnings were fixed, so, there's no reason to keep the upperbound anymore. Each version as of 1.403.2 (=1.403002) will work (except for PGObject 2.0.0 which I remember to have a bug which broke our use)

Now do we want to keep that and make it '>=1.403002, < 2' or '>=2.000200'?

Yes.

Where will that lead us?

Currently 1.403.2 is packaged in Debian. So, that provides us Debian Jessie & Stretch backward compatibility.

How much time do we want to maintain backward compatibility for a package for which we are close to be the only user?

We may be the only *user* of the module, but not the only packager or installer. Some people (quite many, actually) rather would not use local::lib for their installations, but use the distribution's package archive.

Yves