LedgerSMB
The foundation for your business
Fork me on GitHub
Re: [ledgersmb-devel] When to factor out code into a stand-alone CPAN release?

Re: [ledgersmb-devel] When to factor out code into a stand-alone CPAN release?

Hi Yves,

Although CPAN can be seen as a distribution mean, I do not think that we fit there.For me, their purpose is mostly to distribute packages and libraries used to fit in a larger application and that ain't LedgerSMB,

Correct. However, the point was about factoring out parts of the application for them to *become* libraries and be released stand-alone. From that point on, releasing changes in that software would have its own Travis CI setup and the integration with LedgerSMB can only be tested by releasing through CPAN, just like PGObject. Or at least, that's my interpretation.

although one could argue that it would fit in a suite of business applications.

We should use a consistent set of CPAN/distro packages as much as possible to ensure quality, outsource maintenance and to free ourselves from specific versions and distributions.

But at the end, we will remain a business application, focused on a very specific need.

Yves