Re: Proposal for 1.6 and above: small new-code-only developer release

Hi

Just my 0.02 <currency>:

> This is a question which comes up fairly often I think.  There are a
> number of questions in response to that that I think are worth coming up
> with answers to:
>
> * Does it seem like some form of usable package can be formed when you
> end up throwing out all "old code" right now?
> * Are you looking at creating two sub projects (which might in the
> future be merged into a single project again)?
> * What are your main goals in throwing out all the "old code which we
> haven't been able to replace"?

I understand all the reservations. The world is full of dead and
abandoned project rewrites. In this case though, I think there is more
point in doing it than in most other cases.

The code is scattered over several modules, not from a design
perspective, but for historical, or 'this is just the way it is'
reasons. This kills maintainability. My own quest into 1.5 is a sign of
this, I think. That the system works at all is down to the amazing work
of the developers. But Chris put it something like this in a discussion:
In most projects, you'll improve your efficiency by a factor with the
knowledge you get from digging in the code. In LedgerSMB it's like
starting all over again, every time.

The design is very much a product of ad hoc thinking in the original
SQLedger, basically making extendability, or even natural development hard.

If ever there is a rewrite, I would expect that an upgrade path would be
one of the design goals that can't be waived.

I understand the concern about the resources being spread too much. It's
just my experience that a well-designed, well-maintained system is many
times more responsive to developer effort. Or in other words, a poorly
crafted system is a time sink. Building on quicksand is never a good idea.

I'm impressed that you've managed to go where you've gone from the
original sources. I just think there's even more to do to get up to par
with tomorrow's, or  even today's, standards. That's why I think it's
the way to go.

Just my opinion, of course. Formed by testing, looking at code and
database schema, and discussing things on and off list.

/kaare