invoice time: templates and 1.4

It's invoice time of month...  oops 1.4 doesn't seem to have my templates
in the right place...  I tried taking my 1.3.46 templates from the old
VM and uploading them... I guess templates in 1.4 now live in the database?

Is there perhaps a missing process where the 1.3 templates that were on disk
get sucked into the database?   Or perhaps I'm wrong.  I get a general
failure when trying to render an invoice to pdf:

2015/03/02 16:47:23 - ERROR - Form::_error LedgerSMB/Form.pm (437) -- 'undef
error - Could Not Load Template from DB at LedgerSMB/Template/DB.pm line 71.

strace'ing through things I discover:

stat64("./LedgerSMB/Template/XLS.pmc", 0xbfde7bf0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
stat64("./LedgerSMB/Template/XLS.pm", 0xbfde7b50) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
stat64("/etc/perl/LedgerSMB/Template/XLS.pmc", 0xbfde7bf0) = -1 ENOENT

.. bunch of system directories...

is this something that I'm missing?
I should be running 1.4.10.1 from git with the one patch from Nick Prater
to fix "Fix SF Bug 1337 - Cannot post AP transactions".