gl transaction not in transactions table

I have an unapproved transaction X in gl with a transdate of 2013-12-31
that does not have a correponding row in transactions.

The id sequence last value happens to be X - 1, which I suspect is
related.

How does this happen? and how do I correct this?

Can anyone offer some help?

TIA,

Louis