Re: Draft: Requirements of Journal Entries, Batches, Vouchers, and Reports

II:  Journal Entry Specifics

Journal entries must balance to be entered into the books.
Journal entries do not cross dates
Journal entries may not be marked deleted after being approved
Journal entries may exist as templates, drafts, vouchers, or approved transactions
Approved transactions may be reversed.
Drafts, templates, and vouchers may be non-destructively "deleted"
Deleted templates may be purged.
* It must be possible to use multiple FX rates for the same currency on one day (i.e. it must be possible to use a transaction with "today's rate" and it must be possible to reverse a transaction from a closed period - today - at the rate of the original posting).

Good point.  That needs to be a part of the spec too.

currently we have a technicality in place for performance reasons: each locked period has summarized balance totals available. Do we need to say something about that in terms of requirements? Or do we simply keep it an implementation detail?

I think we should keep that functionality as it is.

Moreover, do we want to state something about multi-currency requirements in terms of accounting here and in terms of reporting below? I'm thinking the following three cases:

1. transaction currency is base currenty (simple)
2. transaction currency is not base currency ("normal" multi currency)
3. reporting currency is not base currency (should be reported below)

Question:  Do we want to allow three-currency transactions?

Suppose our main books are in US Dollars and we transfer money from a Euro account to a GBP account?

Yes, I think we should support this scenario. However, I will point out that you only need 2 currency types (transaction and base) /per line item/ to support this use-case.

Also, because the bank accounts are kept as a normal ledger journal, I think it would be tremendously helpful - so I'd like to list it as a requirement - if it would be possible to list the bankaccount details in the transaction currency instead of in the base currency; after all, bank accounts in a non-base currency get bank statements in that currency as well. Saves a lot of calculating back and forth.

Agreed.  Perhaps a selectable currency in search and ledger?

You mean where you limit the currency in the line-items returned? Sure. However, do you return all transactions where a certain currency is returned (ie all lines) or do you return only the lines that match the currency search?

--
Bye,

Erik.

Robust and Flexible. No vendor lock-in.